1000 Frederiksberg Gade
St. Thomas, VI 00802-6736
P.O. Box 756
St. Thomas, VI 00802-0756
Commercial Litigation, Bankruptcy and Admiralty
Mr. Hodges joined Dudley, Dudley and Topper in 1982, prior to its reorganization into Dudley, Topper and Feuerzeig, LLP. Mr. Hodges became a Partner in 1987 and has served as the Head of the Litigation Department since 1995. Mr. Hodges concentrates his practice on commercial litigation, bankruptcy, admiralty and maritime law. Representative published cases include:
Prior to his relocation to the Virgin Islands, Mr. Hodges was employed at Ambrose, Wilson & Grimm in Knoxville, Tennessee. Mr. Hodges was admitted to the bar in Tennessee (1980) and the U.S. Virgin Islands (1984) and is a member of the Virgin Islands (Member, Board of Governors, 1992-1996, Committee on Ethics and Grievances, 1992-2000), Tennessee and American Bar Associations. Mr. Hodges has an AV Preeminent® peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell.®
- Grand Union Supermarkets of the V.I., Inc. v. Lockhart Realty, Inc., 2012 U.S. App. LEXIS 17048 (3d Cir. August 15, 2012) – successfully argued appeal that resulted in the reversal of a District Court judgment for more than $6 million.
- First American Development Group/Carib, LLC v. WestLB AG, 2012 V.I. Supreme LEXIS 39 (April 30, 2012) – successfully litigated at trial court level and argued on appeal that trial court properly certified summary judgment in favor of lender pursuant to Fed. R. Civ. P. 54 despite unresolved crossclaims.
- Addie v. Kjaer, 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 72137 (D.V.I. August 14, 2009), rev'd in part, 737 F.3d 854 (3d Cir. 2013) – obtained $1.5 million judgment after jury verdict for breach of contact. After the trial court granted a post-trial motion reducing the award to $0, the Court of Appeals reversed in part and reinstated the jury verdict.
- Bluebeard’s Castle, Inc. v. Hodge, 51 V.I. 672 (D.V.I. App. Div. 2009) – successfully argued on appeal for the District Court Appellate Division to vacate the Superior Court judgment holding Bluebeard’s Castle, Inc.’s entrance road to be public and awarding fees. The Superior Court, on remand, held that the Plaintiffs had not established that the road was public or that a prescriptive easement had been established. 56 V.I. 59 (Super. Ct. April 16, 2012) (appeal pending).
- AGF Marine Aviation & Transport v. Cassin, 544 F.3d 255 (3d Cir. 2008) – successfully litigated and defended on appeal the District Court’s summary judgment in favor of the insurer of a vessel declaring its policy of insurance void as a result of the assured’s breach of the duty of uberrimae fidei.
- Morcher v. Nash, 26 F. Supp. 2d 758, 39 V.I. 408 (D.V.I. 1998) – successfully litigated title to vessel on behalf of girlfriend of decedent against claims of widow.
University of Tennessee, Juris Doctor, 1980
Northwestern University, Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy), 1977
Back to Attorneys